Every week, the culture critics at Token Theatre Friends bring their fresh perspectives to the performing arts on their podcast and video series. The podcast can be found on Spotify, iTunes, and Stitcher (look for the all-red logo) The video series is available on YouTube. The TTF theme song is by Sean Mason (with vocals by Angela Ramos). The video animation is by Brad Ogden, with logos by Jason Simon.
Our last episode of 2020 is jam-packed with goodies. First up, Ayanna and Jose review a new digital production of Meet Me in St. Louis, and an audio version of A Christmas Carol. Next, Jose speaks to Animals playwright Stacy Osei-Kuffour, and director Whitney White, about the process of transforming their original vision into an audio play.
This is followed by Ayanna and Jose unveiling their favorite shows of the year. In addition, following a TTF tradition, we hear from some of our favorite artists as they reveal the art that made 2020 memorable for them.
- Animals by Stacy Osei-Kuffour at Audible.
- Meet Me in St. Louis at the Irish Repertory Theatre.
- A Christmas Carol at the Goodman Theatre.
- A Soldier’s Play at Roundabout Theater Company.
- Cambodian Rock Band by Lauren Yee at Signature Theatre.
- Ratatouille: The Tik-Tok Musical at TodayTix.
- Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom by August Wilson on Netflix.
- The 40-Year-Old Version by Radha Blank on Netflix.
- A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams at Audible.
- The Totally Fake Latino News by Culture Clash at La Jolla Playhouse.
- The Hot Wing King by Katori Hall at Signature Theatre.
- The official website for Circle Jerk by Fake Friends. See our interview with the creators here.
- You Have to Forgive Me, You Have to Forgive Me, You Have to Forgive Me at Brian Lobel’s website.
- Binge by Brian Lobel and Friends at La Jolla Playhouse.