Every week, the culture critics at Token Theatre Friends bring their fresh perspectives to the performing arts on their podcast and video series. You can find the podcast on Spotify, iTunes, and Stitcher (look for the all-red logo). The video series is available on YouTube. The TTF theme song is by Sean Mason (with vocals by Angela Ramos). The video animation is by Brad Ogden, with logos by Jason Simon.
In this episode, Alexi and Juan review Romeo Y Julieta at The Public Theater. The show’s bilingual translation reminded Alexi of the chismes in his family spilling the tea (some might say he himself is the chisme). Both agreed that maybe it was best to leave behind the old English and bring this Shakespeare classic into a full Spanish telenovela setting.
The friends also reviewed Twenty-Six by Ang Bey. The show was part of Jouska Play Works New Play Showcase at Simpatico Theatre. Juan points out that these characters are MESSY, but nothing less is expected as the play provides an unvarnished view of what it means to figure out your gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Romeo Y Julieta directed by Saheem Ali at The Public Theater
- Twenty-Six by Ang Bey at Simpatico Theatre
- Daddy by Jeremy O. Harris at Vineyard Theatre
- To Kill A Mockingbird adapted by Aaron Sorkin at Shubert Theatre.
- I May Destroy You by Michaela Coel
- War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells